In My Own Moccasins A Memoir of Resilience-FNCR 2020
Twelve, Adult Education, College, University
University of Regina Press
Share this product
In My Own Moccasins: A Memoir of Resilience by Helen Knott, Dane-Zaa and Metis/Cree is a three part memoir in her dreamless void, the in-between and the healing. The memoir follows the life of Helen Knott through her childhood, describing life during school especially after eighth grade, and as a young woman on her red road journey through rape, alcoholism and drug addiction. It is her journey of darkness through which she questions her selfhood, ancestry, faith, and existence. But is it also about her healing, ceremony, love of her son and finding strength and resolve through him and herself to recover her warrior spirit and place in the universe. Reflecting on her own family history – the Bigfoots – and generational trauma of colonial oppression, learned helplessness and powerlessness, Helen Knott re-writes her dreamless void. In My Own Moccasins, she writes with the knowledge that she was born knowing and trusts who she is as she grows and moves forward with others in a good way recognizing the value of self-work and the reclamation of medicine in the shared healing process. The Afterword by Kim Anderson is one of gratitude. Some of Helen’s poems are included in this book and The Things We Taught Our Daughters, her poem on intergenerational trauma is available as spoken poetry at : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzRKC_XdKNE
GoodMinds.com understands that sometimes products do not fit the needs of our customers for one reason or another. Subject to reasonable conditions, you can return items for credit toward a future purchase. Therefore, when returning products, we ask that you follow the steps outlined below:
Before You Return Products
Call a GoodMinds.com Customer Service Representative toll free at 1-888-889-9277 or at (519) 753-1185. In our effort to fully satisfy our customers, we need to understand any problem that you may have had with a purchased item. In the event that return is necessary, you need to obtain a valid Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number first. The following conditions apply:
1. The 30-day return time period begins on the date product(s) were received. Your account will be credited and available for your next purchase.
2. Shipping and Handling charges are NOT refundable/creditable.
3. Please have your invoice number available, (located on the top right corner).
4. Products MUST be returned in original condition.
5. Your returned kits MUST contain ALL original material.
6. Please do not write anywhere on the item or original manufacturers label or packaging.
7. Include a copy of your invoice and RMA number with the returned package.
8. Returns may be rejected if the product has been damaged during shipment. To prevent shipping damage, pack products securely in an EXTERNAL carton.
9. Please call a GoodMinds.com Customer Service Representative to receive your RMA number. No returns will be accepted without a valid RMA number!