Shi-shi-etko by first-time author Nicola Campbell is a children's picture book about an Interior Salish child with just four more days at home until she goes to residential school. The young girl of this recent offering spends her final four days experiencing quality time with her mother, father and grandmother. Each adult allows the child to experience the environment around her. Mother takes her daughter to the creek where she sings a special song that belongs to the family. Shi-shi-etko wades in the water and takes in all the experiences the land and water offer. Mother teaches her the song so that she will take this knowledge and remember. Father does the same as he takes his daughter by canoe out into the lake. Here he sings a paddle song that her grandfather once sang. Shi-shi-etko observes everything around her. Finally her grandmother presents the child with a special memory bag made from deerskin. In this bag the child will keep all her memories of her homeland and environment. The bag will help the child always remember when she goes off to a foreign environment of school. Grandmother teaches the child about the plants, roots and berries of the land. Shi-shi-etko promises to always remember the plants and medicines and tucks the memory bag into the roots of a giant fir tree. She offers tobacco and asks grandfather tree to keep all her special memories of family safe until she returns in the spring. Now it's time for the girl to ride the cattle truck on her way to school. The autumn-hued artwork resembles the work of the Group of Seven. The text attempts to convey the poetic nature of the environment but does not mention residential school except for an introductory page. The text and images make it seem that the child is merely going to a school as children do each autumn. Junior Spring 2012. YouTube Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKeoYhuIjeQ The teacher guide is available at: http://www.mbteach.org/pdfs/pd/osd/2018/MTS_OSDStories_Shishietko_ENG_2018.pdf
GoodMinds.com understands that sometimes products do not fit the needs of our customers for one reason or another. Subject to reasonable conditions, you can return items for credit toward a future purchase. Therefore, when returning products, we ask that you follow the steps outlined below:
Before You Return Products
Call a GoodMinds.com Customer Service Representative toll free at 1-888-889-9277 or at (519) 753-1185. In our effort to fully satisfy our customers, we need to understand any problem that you may have had with a purchased item. In the event that return is necessary, you need to obtain a valid Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number first. The following conditions apply:
1. The 30-day return time period begins on the date product(s) were received. Your account will be credited and available for your next purchase.
2. Shipping and Handling charges are NOT refundable/creditable.
3. Please have your invoice number available, (located on the top right corner).
4. Products MUST be returned in original condition.
5. Your returned kits MUST contain ALL original material.
6. Please do not write anywhere on the item or original manufacturers label or packaging.
7. Include a copy of your invoice and RMA number with the returned package.
8. Returns may be rejected if the product has been damaged during shipment. To prevent shipping damage, pack products securely in an EXTERNAL carton.
9. Please call a GoodMinds.com Customer Service Representative to receive your RMA number. No returns will be accepted without a valid RMA number!